02 October 2013

Wonderful Wednesdays: What's in a Name, Part 1

Before my youngest was born, I had an experience that I shared in this post which inspired some personal mantras and things that I wanted to highlight on this blog. The title of the blog, "Family By Divine Design: The Foundation of a Great Work," comes from two scriptures. The first part, comes from The Family: A Proclamation to the World. While this document is not part of our books of scripture (Bible, Book of Mormon, etc.), it is absolutely regarded as scripture by those of the LDS faith because it came from the mouth of God through prophets and apostles on earth. Here is the portion which inspired the first phrase:
"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners." (emphasis added)
I emphasized the words that stood out powerfully to me as I reflected on my own personal experience with family, both the one I grew up in and the one I'm currently raising. I testify that the family as defined is this document is central to God's plan for His children. When our (meaning members of the LDS church) perspective is properly understood, I don't think people could view LDS people as bigoted or hateful when we say that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. When it's clearly understood that our beliefs are based on what God wants for us, and that to support anything different would be in direct defiance of God, then it should be understood that our well publicized stance opposing 'gay marriage' is not out of hate, but out of obedience to and support for God's plan. God desires our happiness, and through revelation both old and new has taught us how this can be achieved in a lasting way here and now in our mortal lives, and throughout eternity.

The second part of my blog title, "The Foundation of a Great Work," I'll address in another post and I'll come back and link it here.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful for the proclamation on the family. I remember when it came out. Before the proclamation I had every intention of growing up to be a teacher, like my mother. It wasn't until after 1995 that I decided I wanted to be a Mom who stayed home with her kids.
    It is so wonderful that we have living prophets that give us guidance and direction in our day.

    ReplyDelete

Think before you post: Is it true? Is it helpful? Is it inspiring? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Thanks for commenting!